Re: pg_basebackup on slave running for a long time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: pg_basebackup on slave running for a long time
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/20/2016 11:00 PM, Subhankar Chattopadhyay wrote:

Yes so if the slave is behind I need to start over pgbasebackup. I saw according to the documentation this query gives us the replication state. Can somebody tell me if this would be sufficient to know if I need to start over the backup ?

if the slave is behind but is catching up, no, restarting replication would be overkill.    only if the slave gets so far behind that it can't catch up, and in that case, a wal archive would be a better choice than a new base backup.

I've never run into these problems as I run on dedicated hardware servers, which don't have all these reliability and performance problems.   a complete server failure requiring a full rebuild is something that would happen less than annually.