Re: Multiple pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multiple pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
Date
List pgsql-general
"Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos" <thalis@cs.pitt.edu> writes:
>     I have my logfile flooded with the message:
> pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
> I went through the archives and I found plenty of (older) cases where
> this was usually accompanied by a 'FATAL:' message and lead to a
> crash. In my case there is only this by itself (*many* times) and it
> doesn't lead to a crash. Any idea what could be causing it?

Perhaps some backend churning away on a SELECT that produces gigabytes
of output?  (Not hard to do with a careless unqualified join ...)
The client might have long since given up and disconnected, but right
now the backend won't notice until it finishes the query.

Send a SIGINT to the errant backend to get it to cancel the query.

            regards, tom lane