Re: PANIC: wrong buffer passed to visibilitymap_clear - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PANIC: wrong buffer passed to visibilitymap_clear
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> This isn't just any super-exclusive lock, either -- we were calling
> ConditionalLockBufferForCleanup() at this point.

> I now think that there is a good chance that we are seeing these
> symptoms because the "conditional-ness" went away -- we accidentally
> relied on that.

Ah, I see it.  In the fragment of heap_update where we have to do some
TOAST work (starting at line 3815) we transiently *release our lock*
on the old tuple's page.  Unlike the earlier fragments that did that,
this code path has no provision for rechecking whether the page has
become all-visible, so if that does happen while we're without the
lock then we lose.  (It does look like RelationGetBufferForTuple
knows about updating vmbuffer, but there's one code path through the
if-nest at 3850ff that doesn't call that.)

So the previous coding in vacuumlazy didn't tickle this because it would
only set the all-visible bit on a page it had superexclusive lock on;
that is, continuing to hold the pin was sufficient.  Nonetheless, if
four out of five paths through heap_update take care of this matter,
I'd say it's heap_update's bug not vacuumlazy's bug that the fifth path
doesn't.