Re: WIP: About CMake v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com> writes:
> (Does CMake run on a VAX 11/780??  :-))

Yeah.  I see the two major risks as being:

1. We limit ourselves to platforms that cmake works on.

2. We lose the ability to handle weird special-case tests that are
possible (if not necessarily pleasant) with autoconf/gmake.

I might be overly worried about #2 --- but the impression I have of cmake
is that they've spent lots of time on "make easy cases easy" and maybe not
enough on "make hard cases possible".

Anyway, we won't know unless somebody tries it.  There will certainly be
some pluses and some minuses, and we'll have to decide whether the pluses
outweigh the minuses.  I don't think we can tell that without a fairly
detailed attempt at making it work.