Re: Accidentally parallel unsafe functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Accidentally parallel unsafe functions
Date
Re: Accidentally parallel unsafe functions  (Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Andreas Karlsson wrote:
>> I am currently looking into adding the correct parallel options to all
>> functions in the extensions and I noticed that some built-in functions seems
>> to have been marked as unsafe by accident. The main culprit is
>> system_views.sql which redefines these functions and removes the parallel
>> safe flag.

> Surely CREATE OR REPLACE should keep whatever the flag was, rather than
> ovewrite it with a bogus value if not specified?  In other words IMO the
> CREATE OR REPLACE code needs changing, not system_views.sql.

Absolutely not!  The definition of CREATE OR REPLACE is that at the end,
the state of the object is predictable from only what the command says.
This is not open for renegotiation.