Re: fix - function call with variadic parameter for type "any" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fix - function call with variadic parameter for type "any"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> actually, there isn't any difference between a) and b)

> a) select somevariadicwithany(10);
> b) select somevariadicwithany(variadic 10);

> in this case the keyword VARIADIC is ignored.

Well, in my mind what the VARIADIC keyword does is it prevents the parser
from building an ARRAY[] expression around the remaining parameters.
Which would be incorrect for a VARIADIC ANY function because such a
function presumably doesn't want to force all the actual arguments
to be the same type --- if it did, it could use VARIADIC ANYARRAY.

VARIADIC ANY basically exists to allow an ANY-argument function to
accept any number of ANY parameters.  As such, PG_NARGS() is all it
really needs to know, plus the already-existing support for obtaining
the parameters' actual datatypes.