Re: bytea vs. pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bytea vs. pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, unless you want to leave *all* the bytea functions in builtins.h
>> there will still be some risk there.  I'd actually sooner break calls
>> of byteaout than other things, because in reality every caller of
>> byteaout is going to need to be inspected to see if it's expecting
>> the old-style output format.

> Hmm, good point ... why avoid the breakage then?

Maybe we shouldn't.  Okay, back to plan A (separate bytea.h file).

(BTW, so far as I can tell there isn't anything in the backend that
will be broken in that way.  pg_dump, however, is a different story...
it knows way too much about pg_trigger.tgargs.)