Re: BUG #15489: Segfault on DELETE - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: BUG #15489: Segfault on DELETE
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2018/11/07 14:01, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      15489
> Logged by:          Kanwei Li
> Email address:      kanwei@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.0
> Operating system:   Debian 9
>
> We started seeing a segfault crash on our postgresql 11 server instance
> today when attempting to delete certain rows in the database:
>
> 2018-11-06 21:02:07.553 UTC [60606] LOG:  server process (PID 66881) was
> terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
> 2018-11-06 21:02:07.553 UTC [60606] DETAIL:  Failed process was running:
>         delete from integration_account
>         where partner_id = 24
>
> Attempting to delete certain rows were causing this segfault, and attempting
> to delete other rows did not. There didn't seem to be a pattern, and because
> this was on production we couldn't risk playing around too much.
>
> Doing a SELECT on the rows that couldn't be deleted worked fine. There
> didn't seem to be data corruption since all the data could be read. However,
> attempting to DELETE certain rows would crash it. pg_dump also worked
> fine.

Are there any triggers defined on integration_account?  Also, has there
recently been any ALTER TABLE DROP/DROP COLUMN activity on that table?

PG 11.1 to be released later this week fixed a bug that would cause
segmentation fault when running triggers (including, but not limited to
DELETE triggers).

> What fixed it was performing a VACUUM ANALYZE on the database. After that,
> the deletes worked again.

Hmm, that's a bit mysterious to me if your case is really hitting the bug
I'm suspecting.

Thanks,
Amit