Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This is a very valid concern, and it's been bugging us, too.  The problem
> is that by default, the majority of users would probably want the Perl and
> Python modules to be put in the default place where they're easy to find
> for the interpreter.  (This is pure speculation.  Personally, I certainly
> wouldn't do this, in the same way as I don't install libraries in /usr/lib
> because it makes it easier for the linker to find.)

I agree that that's the right place to put the perl & python modules
when doing a pure-default configure: it's reasonable to assume we are
installing a production system, and so we should install these modules
in the default places.  But it's a lot harder to make that argument when
doing a configure with a non-default --prefix: we may well be building a
playpen installation.  In any case there should be a way to suppress
automatic installation of these modules.

> What we probably want is some configure switch that switches between the
> current behaviour and the behaviour you want.

I'd suggest --prefix-like options to determine installation locations
for the perl and python modules, plus options on the order of
--no-install-perl (ie, build it, but don't install it).