Re: Queries seem to lock up shell session - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Queries seem to lock up shell session
Date
List pgsql-novice
travep <traveppost@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have installed Cygwin/PostgresSQL on a Win2000
> machine and things seem to be operating correctly
> except for one thing.  When I try to run a query from
> the command prompt, the results are returned (after
> much blank space) just before the word END.  Nothing I
> do at this point seems to have any effect on the
> system.  I cannot ctl-C out and eventually have to
> shut down the shell.  I am able to create a DB, create
> a table in that DB and insert data at will, it would
> seem.  As soon as I try to see the data, I get the
> above result.  What have I done wrong?

Hmm, it seems like your pager ('less' or 'more', most likely)
is stuck.  Have you tried just pressing RETURN, or perhaps Q,
at the end of the query output?  I'm not sure why it wouldn't
respond to ^C though.  Worst-case, you could tell psql not to
use a pager program.

            regards, tom lane