Re: SEQUENCEs and NO MAXVALUE NO MINVALUE - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SEQUENCEs and NO MAXVALUE NO MINVALUE
Date
Re: SEQUENCEs and NO MAXVALUE NO MINVALUE  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: SEQUENCEs and NO MAXVALUE NO MINVALUE  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> Adds in NO MAXVALUE and NO MINVALUE options for create sequence per 200X
> spec, which will also make alter sequence a touch easier.

What are these supposed to do exactly?  There is no such animal as a
sequence that hasn't got a maxvalue, nor one without a minvalue.
"Large" does not mean "unlimited".

I'm not eager to pick up evidently-poorly-thought-out features from a
draft spec that is nowhere near being frozen.  Anyway, didn't we decide
that converging syntax with 200X was a bad idea if we weren't going to
converge semantics?

            regards, tom lane