Re: pg_dump doesn't report failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump doesn't report failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This is the current CVS behaviour:

> bash-2.05$ pg_dump -a -t badtable mydb
> --
> -- Selected TOC Entries:
> --

> Where 'badtable' is the name of a table that doesn't exist.

> Should this beheaviour be at least modified to write something to stderr?

I dunno.  I think the direction we were planning to go in was that -t's
argument should be treated as a pattern to match against table names
(eg, a regexp).  It's not clear that zero matches are an error when
you are thinking in those terms.  On the other hand I can see your point
about not realizing your "backup" isn't.