8.4 initdb failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From joeweder
Subject 8.4 initdb failure
Date
List pgsql-general
I have tried every solution that I have found for this problem but cannot get
PostgreSQL to install. I am currently trying with 8.4.1. The installer fails
on several machines. After investigation, I see that its during the initdb
section.

I got it to install successfully once; I used the installer and it failed.
Then I copied the data dir from a successful install and ran the installer
again. But I can't get it to go in clean and I need to be able to replicate
this many places.

I've been trying to do it with the binary zip. But get the same errors. I've
tried with the user have various privileges (including Administrators and
not) and having various privis on the files in the install folder. But still
can't get it to work.

I have traced initdb with Process Monitor and include the output attached.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26157726/Logfile.XML Logfile.XML
Note the errors:
'CreateFile' on initdb.exe.Manifest
'CreateFile' on initdb.exe.Config

'QueryNameInformationFile' initdb.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW

I hope someone can recognize these.

Please, Please, someone help!!!

Here is the command-line output... cmd runas /user:testuser -->
C:\temp>pgsql\bin\initdb.exe -d --pgdata=c:\temp\pgsql\data
Running in debug mode.
Running in debug mode.
VERSION=8.4.1
PGDATA=c:/temp/pgsql/data
share_path=C:/temp/pgsql/share
PGPATH=C:/temp/pgsql/bin
POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=testuser
POSTGRES_BKI=C:/temp/pgsql/share/postgres.bki
POSTGRES_DESCR=C:/temp/pgsql/share/postgres.description
POSTGRES_SHDESCR=C:/temp/pgsql/share/postgres.shdescription
POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=C:/temp/pgsql/share/postgresql.conf.sample
PG_HBA_SAMPLE=C:/temp/pgsql/share/pg_hba.conf.sample
PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=C:/temp/pgsql/share/pg_ident.conf.sample
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"testuser".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
States.1252.

The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory c:/temp/pgsql/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in c:/temp/pgsql/data/base/1 ... initdb: could
not e
xecute command ""C:/temp/pgsql/bin/postgres.exe" --boot -x1 -F -d 5": No
error
initdb: removing data directory "c:/temp/pgsql/data"