Re: Add more regression tests for dbcommands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add more regression tests for dbcommands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> Would you be okay if there is one/a few effective create/drop (some tests
> check that the create or drop fails e.g. depending on permissions, which
> ISTM is not tested anywhere else), so that tests for various ALTER
> DATABASE commands are combined together onto these databases?

TBH, I do not see that such tests are worth adding, if they are going to
significantly slow down the core regression tests.  Those tests are run
probably hundreds of times a day, in aggregate across all Postgres
developers.  Adding ten seconds or whatever this would add is a major
cost, while the benefit appears trivial.

We could consider adding expensive low-value tests like these to some
alternate regression target that's only exercised by buildfarm members,
perhaps.  But I think there's probably a point of diminishing returns
even in that context.