Re: Postgres 8 vs Postgres 7.4/cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres 8 vs Postgres 7.4/cygwin
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Goldstein <sgoldstein@apache.org> writes:
> I'm currently trying to make a decision on whether to use the Cygwin port of Postgres 7.4 or Postgres 8.0 for a
windowsinstallation.  Can someone provide some comparison info from a performance point of view?  I was thinking that
theCygwin port has the overhead of the translation layer, but 8.0 is a newer product and may still have performance
issue. Can anyone comment on this?

Well, the performance issues of the cygwin-based releases are the stuff
of legend ;-).  New product or no, this is really a no-brainer.

            regards, tom lane