Re: prepare() - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: prepare()
Date
List pgsql-general
"Stuart Cooper" <stuart.cooper@gmail.com> writes:
> My system is stabilised and I'm looking at this now. I'm not getting a
> lot from pg_prepared_statements yet: perhaps this view only reports on
> statements you've prepared using PostgreSQL's PREPARE through their
> SQL interface, and not DBI's DBD::Pg $dbh->prepare().

A quick look at the source code says that pg_prepared_statements should
show both statements prepared with the SQL-level PREPARE command, and
statements prepared through the wire-protocol Parse message (excluding
the "unnamed" statement in the latter case).  I'm not familiar with the
guts of DBD::Pg, however; it may not be "preparing" statements in any
sense that the backend knows about, but only massaging them locally to
the client library.  It likely matters which version of DBD::Pg you're
talking about, too, because the backend's support for this sort of thing
has been a moving target.

            regards, tom lane