Re: Add --{no-,}bypassrls flags to createuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Add --{no-,}bypassrls flags to createuser
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 14 Apr 2022, at 09:42, Shinya Kato <Shinya11.Kato@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> To add the ROLE clause, the originally existing --role option (corresponding to the IN ROLE clause) is changed to the
--in-roleoption. Would this not be good from a backward compatibility standpoint?

-    printf(_("  -g, --role=ROLE           new role will be a member of this role\n"));
+    printf(_("  -g, --in-role=ROLE        new role will be a member of this role\n"));
+    printf(_("  -G, --role=ROLE           this role will be a member of new role\n"));

Won't this make existing scripts to behave differently after an upgrade?  That
seems like something we should avoid at all costs.