Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation
Date
Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On tis, 2009-08-18 at 12:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It happens for me on my Fedora box, but not on my HPUX box.

> Assuming no tool bugs, the only way I can see this happening is if you
> already have built the documentation.  Then, make install might cause it
> to be re-built if dependencies require it.

Um, that might be it.  I did what I usually do:make distcleancvs updateconfigure ...makemake install
but now that you mention it, I might have built the docs in that
tree yesterday, and "make distclean" no longer cleans them out.
[ checks overnight backups ... ] Yup, that's it: html/ and html-stamp
were present in doc/src/sgml/ early this morning.

I could avoid the unwanted build by changing the first step to
"make maintainer-clean", but that's not tremendously satisfactory
either, given how slow it is to regenerate the derived ecpg files.

Is it sensible to split out docs installation to a separate target
"make install-docs"?  Or is there some other solution?