Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2009-08-18 at 12:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Please fix.  Maybe installing the docs could be conditional on having
> >> done "make distprep", instead?
>
> > Doesn't seem to be happening for me:
> > <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=dungbeetle&dt=2009-08-18%20064401&stg=make-install>
>
> It happens for me on my Fedora box, but not on my HPUX box.  I suppose
> that the significant difference is the HPUX box doesn't have the docbook
> tools installed.  If you have evidence to the contrary, maybe there's
> some subtle gmake version issue here?

Assuming no tool bugs, the only way I can see this happening is if you
already have built the documentation.  Then, make install might cause it
to be re-built if dependencies require it.

make -n --debug -C doc install might help analyze it.