Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Is it desirable that pg_dump doesn't dump config settings set via ALTER
> DATABASE?

Well, it's intentional anyway: that's handled by pg_dumpall.  The basic
design is that anything that can be seen from "outside" a specific
database is handled on the pg_dumpall side.

> I just got bitten by a DateStyle not being restored on my test DB

You could also get bitten by not having restored users or tablespaces
that the dump depends on, so I'm not sure there's a strong argument
here for refactoring the responsibility.