Re: Discontent with development process (was:Re: pgaccess - the discussion is over) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Discontent with development process (was:Re: pgaccess - the discussion is over)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
>     As I understood it  the  idea  was  to  put  the  stuff,  the
>     backends  inherit  from  the  postmaster,  into a centralized
>     place, instead of having it spread out all  over  the  place.
>     What's wrong with that?

The main objection to it in my mind is that what had been private
variables in specific modules now become exceedingly public.  Instead of
looking at "static int foo" and *knowing* that all the references are in
the current file, you have to go trolling the entire backend to see who
is referencing pg_globals.foo.

I have not counted to see how many variables are really affected; if
there's only a few then it doesn't matter much.  But the people who
have done this so far have all reported inserting tons of #ifdefs,
which leads me to the assumption that there's a lot of 'em.