Re: How to Run postgres inside gdb for debugging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to Run postgres inside gdb for debugging
Date
List pgsql-general
Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk> writes:
> The problem is you'll need to do this very fast - this is why postgres
> has a '-W' option to tell the process to wait a defined time before
> really starting up - giving you time to connect. See:

>  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/10/1999/4/0/1649841/

It's not necessary to use -W unless you are trying to debug something
that happens during the backend startup process.  Even then, I wouldn't
make it a postmaster parameter, because that causes *all* started
backends to delay.  Instead say export PGOPTIONS="-W n" on the client
side before you start psql, so the delay only applies to your backend
under test.  See

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-01/msg01463.php

(Bruce said he was going to put that info into FAQ_DEV, but he never
did...)

            regards, tom lane