Re: BUG #10680 - ldapbindpasswd leaks to postgresql log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #10680 - ldapbindpasswd leaks to postgresql log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steven Siebert <smsiebe@gmail.com> writes:
> Attached is a proposed patch for BUG #10680.

> It's a simple fix to the problem of the ldapbindpasswd leaking in
> clear text to the postgresql log.  The patch simply removes the raw
> pg_hba.conf line from the log message, but retains the log line number
> to assist admins in troubleshooting.

You haven't exactly explained why this is a problem.  The proposed patch
would impede diagnosing of many other problems, so it's not going to get
committed without a thoroughly compelling rationale.

Hint: "I don't store my postmaster log securely" is not compelling.
We've been over that ground before; there are far too many reasons
why access to the postmaster log is a potential security hazard
to justify concluding that this particular one is worse.