Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns
Date
List pgsql-general
PegoraroF10 <marcos@f10.com.br> writes:
> Adrian, on Firebird if you create a table or procedure with fields or params
> declared with domains, they can be used with those domains or with their
> base type. On Postgres I32 is not equal to integer.

> create procedure myproc(id i32) returns(x i32) as ...

> select * from myproc(cast(5 as integer)) -- works on firebird. On Postgres
> it doesn´t because that procedure or function expects for a I32 and not a
> integer.

Really?

regression=# create domain i32 as int;
CREATE DOMAIN
regression=# create function myproc(id i32) returns i32
language sql as 'select $1';
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# select myproc(cast(5 as integer));
 myproc
--------
      5
(1 row)

I think the primary reason we don't allow domains over int for identity
columns is that it's not clear how domain constraints ought to interact
with the identity-value-generating behavior.

            regards, tom lane