Re: template0 database comment - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: template0 database comment
Date
Re: template0 database comment
Re: template0 database comment
Re: template0 database comment
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> OK, funny guys.  ;-)  Can someone give me the right text.  Obviously I
>> don' know what template0 is used for either.  Is it pg_dumpall perhaps?

> template0: unmodifiable pristine empty database
> template1: default template for new databases

Yeah, I think that the right way to approach this is to have initdb
comment *both* of those databases.  I don't like that specific wording
for template0 though.  Maybe

template0: unmodified copy of original template1 database
template1: default template for new databases

The problem with Greg's wording is that it's falsifiable: it is possible
for someone to modify template0 if they're determined to mess things up.
So a description like "unmodifiable" is promising too much.

Shouldn't the "postgres" database get a comment too, while we're at it?
Perhaps "default database to connect to"?