Re: Column Ordering - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Column Ordering
Date
List pgsql-novice
--- Andres Ledesma <alchir@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, in the relational theory behind the RDBMSs, the
> colum order in a tupple is irrelevant, like the elements in a set.

This is correct.

> Is there any solid reason or need for having colunms ordered ?

My guess for this request is that alot of people would rather write:

SELECT *
  FROM Table;

instead of:

SELECT column1, column5, column2, column3, column4
  from Table;

I've seen alot of "BEST PRACTICE" advice on this list that suggests that writing out all of the
columns is recommended.  However, I am sure that there are alot of individuals that like to write
these queries with the least amount of code possible.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.