Re: Beta2 on Friday Morning (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Beta2 on Friday Morning (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Looking at the open item list, I see:
>         fix up function return types on lang/type/trigger creation or
>           loosen opaque restrictions

> Seems that should be fixed before beta2 because it does effect people

Yeah, we should do something with that.  Are people okay with the idea
of CREATE LANGUAGE, etc, retroactively changing prorettype from OPAQUE
to the correct thing?

> Are we done with all of these?
>     Add casts: (Tom)
>             assignment-level cast specification
>             inet -> text
>             macaddr -> text
>             int4 -> varchar?
>             int8 -> varchar?
>             add param for length check for char()/varchar()

All but the inet/macaddr->text change; I backed that out after finding
that it induced a bunch of regression-test failures.  The tests assume
that "inet = integer" will provoke a failure.  Guess what: if both inet
and integer have implicit casts to text, the system takes it.

On reflection I still feel that we should be getting rid of implicit
casts to text rather than adding more.  This is still an open bug:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2001-10/msg00108.php