Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Maybe the fact that the stat file is completely rewritten every 500 ms
> should be reconsidered, if in the future someone chooses to rewrite
> the stat system.  We can reconsider this part then, as well.

Yeah, it's becoming pretty obvious that that design does not scale very
well.  I don't immediately have any ideas about a better way though.

I am working on some marginal hacks like not writing more of the backend
activity strings than is needed, but it'd be nicer to think of a
different solution.

            regards, tom lane