Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug 27, 2024, at 04:56, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> The extension image could follow a naming convention like this (order can be adjusted): `<extension name>-<pg
major>-<extensionversion>-<distro>(-<seq>)`. For example, `pgvector-16-0.7.4-bookworm-1` would represent the first
imagebuilt in a repository for pgvector 0.7.4 for PostgreSQL 16 on Debian Bookworm. If multi-arch images aren't
desired,we could incorporate the architecture somewhere in the naming convention.

Well now you’re just describing the binary distribution format RFC[1] (POC[2]) and multi-platform OCI distribution
POC[3]:-)

> If we wanted to install multiple versions of an extension, we could mount them in different directories, with the
versionincluded in the folder name—for example, `pgvector-0.7.4` instead of just `pgvector`. However, I'm a bit rusty
withthe extensions framework, so I'll need to check if this approach is feasible and makes sense.

Right, if we decided to adopt this proposal, it might make sense to include the “default version” as part of the
directoryname. But there’s quite a lot of work between here and there.

Best,

David

[1]: https://github.com/pgxn/rfcs/pull/2
[2]: https://justatheory.com/2024/06/trunk-poc/