Re: Increasing Max Connections Mac OS 10.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Increasing Max Connections Mac OS 10.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Brian Hirt <bhirt@mobygames.com> writes:
> ... after i did ulimit -n
> unlimited the problem joe describes went away for me.

Hmm.  Postgres assumes it can use the smaller of max_files_per_process
and sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX).  From what you describe, I suspect that OSX's
sysconf call ignores the "ulimit -n" restriction and thus encourages us
to think we can use more than we really can.  If that's the correct
explanation then the LOG messages are just a cosmetic problem (as long
as kern.maxfiles comfortably exceeds max_connections times ulimit -n).

I wonder whether we should also probe getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE)?  Anyone
have an idea whether that returns different limits than sysconf()?

            regards, tom lane