Re: retire MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren backwards compatibility macro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: retire MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren backwards compatibility macro
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
>> It might be worth introducing pg_attribute_deprecated() in c.h.  I'm not
>> too worried about this particular macro, but it seems handy in general.

> Huh, this was brought up before [0].
> [0] https://postgr.es/m/20200825183002.fkvzxtneijsdgrfv%40alap3.anarazel.de

FWIW, I think it's fine to just nuke MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren.
We ask extension authors to deal with much more significant API changes
than that in every release, and versions where the updated code wouldn't
work are long gone.  And, as you say, the existence of that separate from
MemoryContextReset creates confusion, which has nonzero cost in itself.