Re: 7.3beta and ecpg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3beta and ecpg
Date
Re: 7.3beta and ecpg  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: 7.3beta and ecpg  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> We will not find out if there are problems with the bison beta until we
> ship it as part of beta and I don't think we have to be scared of just
> because it is beta.

No?  If there are bugs in it, they will break the main SQL parser, not
only ecpg.  I am scared.

My idea of a reasonable fallback is to add prebuilt-with-the-beta-bison
output files to the ecpg directory, but not anyplace else.  That is
ugly, but the effects of any bison problems will be limited to ecpg.

I am also still wondering if we couldn't tweak the grammar to eliminate
states so that ecpg would build with a standard bison.  That would be a
win all 'round, but it requires effort that we maybe don't have to
spend.