Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> With regards to your specific problem, my guess is that you haven't
> created you database with the proper character set for the data you are
> storing in it.  I am guessing you simply used the default SQL Acsii
> character set for your created database and therefore only the first 127
> characters are defined.  Any characters above 127 will be returned by
> java as ?'s.

Does this happen with a non-multibyte-compiled database?  If so, I'd
argue that's a serious bug in the JDBC code: it makes JDBC unusable
for non-ASCII 8-bit character sets, unless one puts up with the overhead
of MULTIBYTE support.

            regards, tom lane