Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 04 May 2001 10:29:50 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > With regards to your specific problem, my guess is that you haven't
> > created you database with the proper character set for the data you are
> > storing in it.  I am guessing you simply used the default SQL Acsii
> > character set for your created database and therefore only the first 127
> > characters are defined.  Any characters above 127 will be returned by
> > java as ?'s.
>
> Does this happen with a non-multibyte-compiled database?  If so, I'd
> argue that's a serious bug in the JDBC code: it makes JDBC unusable
> for non-ASCII 8-bit character sets, unless one puts up with the overhead
> of MULTIBYTE support.

I fought with this for a few days. The solution is to dump the database
and create a new database with the correct encoding.

MULTIBYTE is not neccesary I just set the type to LATIN1 and it works
fine.

Queries even work on accentuated caracters!!!

I have a demo database for those interested

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S