Re: BUG #17178: probes.h: No such file or directory when running 'make install' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17178: probes.h: No such file or directory when running 'make install'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Kevin Burke <kevin@meter.com> writes:
> Aha, never mind... I am using the Rust "coreutils" and this appears to be
> an incompatibility between the GNU "cp" tool and the Rust cp tool. While
> concerning I don't think that this is Postgres's fault.

It looks more like gmake having dropped the ball somewhere along the line
--- probes.h is a built file, plus it's symlinked in various places.

We know that Apple's /usr/bin/make works, but maybe you're using something
different?  Also, it could matter whether this is a VPATH build or not.

FWIW, this is what I see immediately after a clean build on my Big Sur
laptop (non-VPATH):

$ find . -name probes.h | xargs ls -ld
-rw-r--r--  1 tgl  admin  7568 Sep  3 09:16 ./src/backend/utils/probes.h
lrwxr-xr-x  1 tgl  admin    35 Sep  3 09:16 ./src/include/utils/probes.h -> ../../../src/backend/utils/probes.h

Looking at the install rule in src/include/Makefile, it
looks like it first blindly installs the symlink along with
everything else in src/include/utils, and then overwrites that
with the non-symlink copy.  So I guess if you have a version
of "cp" with non-POSIX rules for what to do with symlinks,
this could indeed be "cp"'s fault ... but that would be a
cp bug, and a rather big one.

            regards, tom lane