Re: BUG #8611: ECPG: unclosed comment "/*" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #8611: ECPG: unclosed comment "/*"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:18:18AM +0000, alexsav23@gmail.com wrote:
>> pre-compiler don't work if we have unclosed comment:

> Right, this comes from ecpg using the same rules for C-style commands for SQL
> code and C code. However, this is not correct, I agree. SQL allows for nested
> comments while C does not. This needs fixing.

I don't see any way to "fix" it --- the best you can do is have a
different set of users complaining, because C and SQL aren't consistent
about this, and it's not obvious which convention should be followed
where.

Perhaps we should just document that you should avoid nested comments
in ecpg source code.

            regards, tom lane