Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jeff MacDonald" <jeff@interchange.ca> writes:
> This problem is occuring on pgsql 7.2.1 as well as 7.2.2.
> I have nothing to say except this is VERY weird. Is there something
> evil about 1930-04-27 ?
> xxx=> SELECT age('1995-01-01',birthdate) FROM users where id =343;
> ERROR:  Unable to convert date to tm

What's your platform ... a recent Red Hat release perchance?  If so,
PG 7.2.3 might make this better.  The glibc boys gratuitously broke
mktime() for pre-1970 dates.  There's a workaround in 7.2.3.  But
do complain to Red Hat if this turns out to be your issue.  They
need to hear --- repeatedly --- that this was a stupid, stupid, stupid
decision on the part of the glibc maintainers.

            regards, tom lane