Re: WIP: About CMake v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I wonder about two other things: one is speed of the build (not that
> currently it's all that great, given all the mess with recursive make
> invocations, but perhaps it can be even worse); the other is how ugly
> the generated files are going to be, and are we going to carry them in
> our repo -- right now we only have configure, but are we going to keep
> extra files to cope with builds in systems that don't have cmake
> installed (as we cope with missing bison and flex)?

As near as I can tell, the generated files are platform-specific.
(They're certainly different for Unix and Windows; the overview
I'm looking at doesn't say in so many words whether they can vary
at a finer grain, but I bet they do.)  So I'm afraid cmake would
likely become a build requirement, even for tarball users.  That
is probably not a show-stopper, but it's a point against the idea.

I have no idea whether switching to cmake would be a good thing or not.
It's possible that it'd end up being even uglier than our current
autoconf+gmake+msvc-scripts mess ... although when phrased that way,
that sounds like a pretty low bar to clear.  Anyway, if YUriy is willing
to do the preliminary investigation, let's see what he comes up with.