Re: a tsearch2 (8.2.4) dictionary that only filters out stopwords - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: a tsearch2 (8.2.4) dictionary that only filters out stopwords
Date
Re: a tsearch2 (8.2.4) dictionary that only filters out stopwords  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-patches
This patch:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-11/msg00137.php
seems simple and useful enough that I think we ought to slip it into
8.3, even though we are far past feature freeze.

As the "simple" dictionary type stands in CVS HEAD, it is only useful as
the last dictionary in a stack, since it never passes anything on as
unrecognized.  With the proposed AcceptAll = false option, it could be
used to filter out some stopwords before feeding tokens to another
dictionary.  While most dictionary types have their own stopword support,
some of them match stopwords after their own normalization processing,
and so there's no way to filter on pre-normalized words.  That seems
like a good improvement, even without the specific need-example that
Jan provided at the start of the thread.

Normally we'd never consider adding a new feature so late in the
development cycle, but this seems small enough and useful enough
to make an exception.  Comments?

            regards, tom lane