Re: createlang error(s) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: createlang error(s)
Date
List pgsql-general
John Burski <SnowCritter@charter.net> writes:
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR: could not load library
> "/usr/lib/postgresql/plperl.so": libperl.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory

ldd on plperl.so might be informative.

> The "libperl.so" file is located in the
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE directory and has
> permissions of 555.

I don't know for sure about SUSE, but on Red Hat-derived systems it's
standard (and no I don't think this is sane) to put plperl.so into
a directory such as that, but not include that directory in the ldconfig
search path.  This means that plperl.so MUST have an explicit rpath
to that directory or it will fail as above.  So if ldd shows plperl.so
as not resolving its link to libperl.so, that's probably your problem.

Where did you get your postgres build from?  This is pretty clear
packager error IMHO.

> ... I've also tried
> the createlang command to add tcl and python, with similar results.

Hmm.  libtcl and libpython are normally installed in sane locations, so
whatever their problem is is something different.  Again, ldd would be
informative.

            regards, tom lane