Re: Adding Functionality - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Adding Functionality
Date
List pgsql-general
Fernando Alonso Renault <proyectolsd@wanadoo.es> writes:
> i'm quite a newbie using postgres 7.2 so this may be an easy question, but how do i add new funtionality? I mean, i
wannaadd a couple of new functions, and i've found this files, pg_proc.h and fmgrtab.c, but i don't know the meaning of
thefields, so i can't add anything.

You probably should be thinking in terms of using CREATE FUNCTION rather
than hand-hacking the initial database contents.  However, pg_proc
columns are documented at the top of pg_proc.h (not to mention in the
System Catalogs chapter of the developer documentation), and fmgrtab.c
is an automatically derived file that you shouldn't need to touch at all.

There is a good deal of documentation about writing new functions in the
HTML documentation, and lots of examples in the contrib/ tree.  Note
that none of those examples rely on changing pg_proc.h ...

            regards, tom lane