Re: ]OT] Parsing postgresql.conf archive_command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: ]OT] Parsing postgresql.conf archive_command
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 3, 2008, at 6:05 AM, Joey K. wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'd like to get the path configured for archive_command in a shell
> script
>
> I've used a file with following content as an example
> (postgresql.conf),
>
> # archive_command = cp %p /backup/%r
>   # archive_command = cp %p /backup/%r
>         # archive_command = cp %p /backup/%r
> #archive_command = cp %p /backup/%r
>    archive_command = 'cp %p /backup/wal/%f'
>
> This is what I been trying.
> $ awk '!/[ \t]*#/ { sub(/%f$/, "", $NF); print $NF }' postgresql.conf
>
> and I get
> /backup/wal/%f'
>
> Any idea how to get rid of "%f'"  so that I get only?
> /backup/wal/
>
> My regexp skills are sad :-)

I usually prefer to string together more simple command than to
compress it into one awkward command:

dirname `grep -E '^archive_command' postgresqlc.conf | awk '{print
$NF}' | awk -F\' '{print $1}'`

dirname will directory component of a path (dirname /backup/wal/%f => /
backup/wal)

So, that's dirname on the results of grepping for the line that starts
with archive_command piped through a basic awk (split on spaces)
printing the last filed piped through an awk splitting on a single
quote printing the first field.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability