Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date
Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> So I'm in favor of committing part of the HS code even if there are
> known failure conditions, as long as those conditions are well-defined.

If we're thinking of committing something that is known broken, I would
want to have a clearly defined and trust-inspiring escape strategy.
"We can always revert the patch later" inspires absolutely zero
confidence here, because in a patch this large there are always going to
be overlaps with other later patches.  If it gets to be February and HS
is still unshippable, reverting is going to be a tricky and risky
affair.

I agree with Heikki that it would be better not to commit as long as
any clear showstoppers remain unresolved.