Re: Why is NULL not indexable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why is NULL not indexable?
Date
List pgsql-general
> You'd want to add two more strategies to represent the relationsationships.
> This is not going to be quick, that's for sure.

Yeah, it would be really tedious to do it that way, because pg_amop
entries would need to be added for every indexable datatype.  This
wouldn't bother me so much for built-in datatypes, but it would also
break user-defined types that have index support --- indexing would
fail until they added entries too.

Since there isn't any real need for datatype-specific handling of NULL
searches, I'd be inclined to special-case them somehow without adding
explicit strategy numbers for them.  Not sure what it would take to
do this, though.

            regards, tom lane