Re: Still problems with memory swapping and server load - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Still problems with memory swapping and server load
Date
List pgsql-general
"Markus Wollny" <Markus.Wollny@computec.de> writes:
> I'm still "being hosed over big time" as Curt Sampson put it. It's still
> the same machine and database: 1GB RAM, 4xPIII550Xeon, dumpall.sql is
> ~300MB (see "[GENERAL] Urgent: Tuning strategies?"). It all starts with
> a humble 8MB swap being used (I expect that's just the empty swap with
> nothing in it but some system overhead). Then after a short time, memory
> usage climbs slow but continuously until it hits physical RAM ceiling
> and starts using swap - with not very nice results for the database.

It sort of looks like you are seeing a memory-leak problem.  I thought
we'd largely eliminated that class of trouble in recent releases, but
maybe there's still one or two left.  Can you identify the exact query
or queries that cause individual backends' memory usage to grow?

            regards, tom lane