Re: Postgresql can handle 200 connections (two tier) ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ericson Smith
Subject Re: Postgresql can handle 200 connections (two tier) ?
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We have well over 200 simultaneous connections in a two tier atmosphere.
We run a web cluster with well tuned apache servers (KeepAlive off), and
use transactions on every request.

Each request can have up to ~16 queries. Those ~16 queries are wrapped
in transactions with appropriate rollbacks if the thing fails. We have
tons of logging and those ~16 queries all together take about .05
seconds. We also have table sizes in the millions of tuples. About a
third of the queries are updates or inserts. Some queries are 5 table
joins as well. We have over a million transactions (~16 million queries)
every day.

On the other hand, we throw some hardware at this also :-)

4GB Ram
Dual Athlon MP 1600+
RAID Drives

Other settings: