Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Hartmut Goebel" <h.goebel@goebel-consult.de> writes:
> If a 8.3 table contains a column named "window", the dump can not be
> restored into a 8.4 database. Reasons: a) "window" is a new keyword in 8.4
> b) pg_dump does not quote column names.

This is one of the cases where it's helpful to use the newer version's
pg_dump.

> Solution: pg_dump should quote *all* column-names, no matter if they are
> keywords or not.

That was considered and rejected long ago.  Readability of the dump
script is something that we put a nonzero value on.

            regards, tom lane