indexes on float8 vs integer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
List pgsql-general
Anyone got any insight or experience in the speed and size of indexes on Integer(4 byte) vs float (8byte). For a
projectthat I'm on, I'm contemplating using an integer for:

     Latitude
     Longitude

In a huge, publically searchable table.

In the INSERTS, the representation would be equal to:

     IntegerLatOrLong = to_integer( float8LatOrLong * to_float(1000000) );

This would keep it in a smaller (4 bytes vs 8 byte) representation with simple numeric comparison for indexing values
whilestill provide 6 decimals of precision, i.e. 4.25 inches of resolution, what google mapes provides.

I am expecting this table to be very huge. Hey, I want to be the next 'portal' :-)
Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life

I agree with Bolivian President Evo Morales

# The right to life: "The right for no ecosystem to be eliminated by the irresponsible acts of human beings."

# The right of biosystems to regenerate themselves: "Development cannot be infinite. There's a limit on everything."

# The right to a clean life: "The right for Mother Earth to live without contamination, pollution. Fish and animals and
treeshave rights."

# The right to harmony and balance between everyone and everything: "We are all interdependent."

See the movie - 'Inconvenient Truth'
See the movie - 'Syriana'