Re: Weird disk/table space consumption problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Weird disk/table space consumption problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Dirk Riehle<dirk@riehle.org> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Dirk Riehle <dirk@riehle.org> writes:

>>> During boot, fsck (must have been fsck) gave me tons of freeing up inode
>>> messages.
>>
>> And this part is a filesystem bug; it cannot possibly be Postgres'
>> fault that the filesystem got corrupted.
>
> One would think so? But the reboot should have stopped PostgreSQL properly.

Doesn't matter whether or not pgsql was shut down properly, it
shouldn't result in file system corruption.  Now if the file wasn't
properly unmounted before power down, that could cause file system
corruption.  With a journaling file system the file system should come
right back up corruption free.

Are you running an older distro or something maybe?