Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> What's the next step?

> I suppose the first thing would be to look over the patches I
> mentioned and the SQL:2003 specification, then put together a
> preliminary patch and send it to -hackers.

You can get useful feedback long before having anything that looks
like a patch --- and I'd encourage you to do so.  Send us design
notes, rough data structures, etc.

Quite honestly, hierarchical queries aren't the easiest thing in the
world and wouldn't be my recommendation of the first ... or even the
second ... backend hacking project for a new posthacker to tackle.
If that's where you feel you must start, OK, but try to get as much
feedback as soon as you can, sooner not later.

I seem to recall some discussion of how to do this in the past;
have you trolled the pghackers archives?